Wednesday, December 25, 2013

I received a double lung transplant at the University of Pennsylvania





I received a double lung transplant at the University of Pennsylvania on February 11, 2011, my birthday. What a birthday gift that was!! I want to thank the donor family for giving me a second chance to have my life back. Since then I’ve lost 47 lbs. and feeling great about myself. It has been a long and rough road with a few bumps. I'm down to about 26 pills a day from about 35 pills per day. I think it was very hard for my friends when I was in the process of dealing with my illness. The minute I say I’ve had a Transplant or I had COPD, I never heard from that person again and that's what really hurts me. As of today I’m at 97 % to 100% room air without any oxygen and I joined the gym at Pell Port, the old DuPont Rehab Center on Pennsylvania Ave in Wilmington, Delaware, where I go a few days a week to keep the weight off and build muscle back up. It was amazing to be able to breathe without exhaustion — and it still is. When I started using oxygen 5 years ago I was up to almost 4 liter and was hardly able to walk short distances. I had to quit working. I didn't go out much. I went to a wedding once and ran out of the reception early because I had run out of oxygen and felt like I couldn't catch my breath ( I have been without Oxygen now four months and all the tanks and machines are no longer in my home). Part of it may have been panic at the thought of not being able to breathe without the Oxygen — it was so much a part of me. When I did my lung capacity tests for the first time after transplant, I almost cried because it was with little effort. Everything at Penn went really well. Every department interacts with the others, which is nice. I recommend it to everyone who needs it. I spent three months in and out at the University of Pennsylvania in ICU, Rehab Center, where I had to learn to walk, dress myself, feed myself and learn to breathe normal. I’m so grateful for every opportunity I have been given to have a full life back. Thank you, God and all my friends and most of all my family who supported me 24/7 that believed in me, all the Doctors, especially Dr.Lee, Dr. Ahya, Belinda Tuner, Kevin Carney and J. Eric Hobson and everyone on the transplant team, and all the Rehabilitation personnel and Occupational team that did not give up on me. I can't say enough about the staff at the University of Pennsylvania who gave me excellent care and a normal life back. Someone asked me if I had to do this again to save my life would I? My reply is “you bet your sweet bottom I would”.This time in less than 2 months will be my 3rd year anniversary  on February 11th 2011 and on my Birthday my life was not only saved but transformed by a very special man who I so wish I could thank. Today I will be thinking of his family more than ever and feeling incredibly lucky and grateful to everybody who has helped me reach today. Without the University of Pennsylvania I would not be here today after  receiving a Double Lung Transplant, and my Loving family and most of all my sister Virginia the most, who never got mad at me at my lowest point after surgery.. You really are a trooper putting up with my BS and not letting me get away anything. I think my recovery was faster because of you, I just wanted to get home and away from her. Know I’M ONLY JOKING! You are a God sent and your wonderful husband also.
Thank you all so much.
Regards and much Love,
Ric.




















No comments:

Post a Comment